Thursday, March 15, 2012

A moment with Obaasan


One of the best way to observe one's culture is to become what my professor would say "a fly on the wall" and since I've been living in Japan, I always thought of how it would feel to be a part of a Japanese family and not being surrounded by "Gaijin" (foreigners) on a daily basis. When I signed in for a program called "home visit family", I meet obaasan (the grandmother of the family). I could clearly see that she is a living cultural tie within the family. The family itself was beyond kindness that it's almost too good to be true but the one that holds the family is the grandmother. Without her, the traditional value would be far less adapted to the family as the modern lifestyle has already taken over to suit their current needs. In order for the family to get away from their busy life, they would visit obaasan once every week to see her but also to remind themselves about where they truly belong. I was overwhelmed to become a part of the family especially when I was invited to the grandmother's house. My social interaction with obaasan was far more different than it was with everyone else in the family but that doesn't necessarily mean that I felt uncomfortable with her. I had already experience many difficulties with my level one spoken Japanese in this country so this was not something entirely new. I knew I wanted to talk to her once the mum and the dad went home and left me and Ami (the daughter) at obaasan's house. Once obaasan was finally free from cooking and cleaning, my relationship with her starts to develop. Our conversation turns out (like it always do) to be very pleasant. A difficult yet committed conversation with my mind running wild with anticipation especially when I have to read all the possible signs that goes along with the words to at least understand the situation that was giving to me. I found myself overwhelmed by the story of her life during war time that allows me to glimpse and share in. She told me about her early marriage at twenty years old with the man she spend her life with until he passed away in 2010. She also talks about the atomic bombing in Hiroshima and Nagasaki where her grandfather was killed.  Her voice were spoken with serenity and contentment that could go for long without any need for response. Her story and behaviour to it penetrated my soul and I could visualize her being in that incident. I also found myself reflecting her story into the glimpse of my own grandmother during the Vietnam war and how her father fought to protect the country. Overall, it was such a wonderful feeling to be at obaasan's traditional house and hear her talking. The conversation continues to ebb and flow until midnight. A moment with obaasan that I will never forget.






1 comment:

  1. Great portrait. I also like all of the context behind it you provide. Well done!

    ReplyDelete